Thursday, December 8, 2011

Entry 5: If At First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try, Again

I woke up the next morning with my head on my desk, rested on multiple slips of white paper.  Something about these instructions gave me hope.  I knew that there had to be a way out of Ember, I just knew it.  I walked up to my side table and pulled out my drawing of the unknown regions that i had been working on for the past few years now on the back of a chicken noodle soup can.  There had to be some way to get here.  My day dreams are too vivid for this to not be real.  
It was Thursday, which meant I didn't have to work today.  I took this time to go visit Clary, a close friend of mine that worked in the greenhouse.  We caught up for awhile, sharing gossip stories, hopes, dreams, and experiences from our new occupations.  I told her about the instructions laying on my desk, and surprisingly she was eager to help.
Later that night, Doon showed up and we put all three of our brains together, determined to fill in the missing blanks. Clary's eyes got ten times wider, and all our hearts started to beat quickly, hoping she had figured something out.  She put two slips of paper together, forming the word "egress".  Doon and I shrunk back into our seats, for neither of us knew what that meant, or even knew that was a word.  However, the expression on Clary's face still gave me a little hope. She was stuttering she was so excited. "Exit!", she exclaimed, "egress means exit! These are instructions for the exit from Ember!"
Jaws open, speechless, Doon and I made wide-eye contact.  The smile on all of our faces were just as long, and the thoughts running through our minds were all the same.  We found the way out of Ember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment